Thursday, June 03, 2010

LELW: The scent of the jungle

I came across this phrase after the trip, "love to hate". It was a title to an article written on hiking. The author enunciated all the obstacles and difficulties he faced throughout his hiking expedition, which he sees as the downsides. Yet despite all that, he loves it. Hence, love to hate.

His descriptions on the slippery trail, leeches and never ending wall of trek earned my empathy, especially after Liang East West where we have to summit with empty stomach due to time constraint which is by far the most unbearable for people with no extra fat to burn like me. I never fell on my backside this time, I always managed to grab on to something. There's this one time when i tried to grab hold of a trunk to prevent the fall, i got hooked on thorns. I can literally see the thorns tearing on my skin when I move my arm away as if it were tearing on a piece of cloth, the skin was dragged the furthest a human skin can be away from the flesh. Then of course blood oozing out. To be frank, that moment doesn't strike me as anything worth mentioning, I said nothing during the trip. I think to most of us, cuts and bruises of this sorts, bear no significance. Most of us will just wipe it off and continue our journey. It's almost like a norm that we are bound to get hurt in the mountain.

So, no. I don't think it's a downside, I don't think I would have any hates towards the slippery trail, leeches or the never ending trail. It's what i sign up for when i decided to come. One cannot be too careful here. If you fell down, stand up. If you wanna cry, cry then go on. That's the spirit!!

If it's not for Laoshi's post, I'd forget about the shred of disappointment i have when i reach the peak that is too foggy to see the view. Perhaps the sense of achievement upon reaching the peak and the breakfast is more than enough to make that disappointment slipped pass my mind. The milo and kaya bread i had that morning is the BEST i ever had!

Hui Sim and Jonny, enjoyed the time to 711 with you guys. Both of you are really inspiring and motivating. Hui Sim you're especially amazing, salute. I will always remember our faces when we reached the campsite in 20minutes from our resting point, skeptical, doubtful, then excited!We rock!! shhh...shh..

Alistair, you're such a lunatic!

Pei yun, glad you enjoyed it. I have so much respect for you, do you know that?

Harry aka Victor, my long lost brother, wahahaha.

Mr and Mrs Tan, enjoyed your company. Both of you are so likeable and "chu bi".

Lee Chee Loong, thanks for taking care of pei yun after she's been abandoned by me. :-)

The 85's, Steve, HaiFeng and SiuKat, walking with you three really cheer me up. Non stop jokes. Wei, how to look so young de leh? I had a good night sleep thanks to Tee and Onn, Kwan Leong for all the jungle talk. Wen Ting, i gave you back the nutmeg cream did i? You're really determined too even though you're so exhausted. Simpson, Vivian and Waikit, see you guys next trip. Your pants still with me oh waikit.

Thanks to ODA (lao shi, sss, pst, abs, chiannii) for organizing this wonderful trip. Bang sham and lan, for the great assistance and experience sharing. All group 3 members for bearing with me my fussiness towards food.



* everyone were so happy in the group photo cause the camera dropped and i can't get in. EVIL!

Hope all of you recover soon. You earned my respect.
The spirit and attitude is to be acquired, not born.

All the best, from Chong Ee.

1 comment:

jonny said...

WE ROCKS!!!!