Monday, July 30, 2012

Gunung Datuk Expedition. On The Move Again!!!!

Weeks after GunungTahan Expedition and it took us a little longer than usual to get physically recovered but the heart has never stop missing the trip, fire is still burning strong, still in desperate to hit another hike. It’s the time again!!



We have spent last weekend on Bukit Kutu, climbing, relaxing, enjoying and preparing ourselves for the coming August trip. Despite of it, a trip to Gunung Datuk was still pretty much anticipated.

How could I ever forget? When a question been thrown to me: What about this mountain, Gunung Datuk? It’s a mountain i always think about, and be grateful for how it found me at certain point of my life time and made something right out of it.

Hiking has indeed given me so much.
Hence able to share some stories of the mountain with friends is always a pleasure to do so.
Although many could not make it at last but I strongly believe there always another chance for them to experience the wonders of the mother nature.


After a short trek into Lubuk Petai Campsite on the first day, we had our quality moment for a refreshing dip in the river.
We changed into comfortable suits. Enthusiasm lacks in nobody which always makes for a wonderful dinner .

Everyone mucks in, cooking, setting up dome and, as the saying goes, many hands make light work...
Following dinner, there were more snacks and fruits for supper!!



We had porridge for dinner – it is amazing how it grows on you. 


Jun Yu even amazed that we can actually cooked such delicious meal with only a simple equipments in the middle of jungle.
How, is the question, and if we able to do it without proper and comfort tools and spaces, don't we think that it would be easier when we are back to civilization?
I believe this is a big realization for him and I recalled that for once, same feeling grows in me after my first few trips. Most of the teenagers nowadays lack of the urge to learn some skills in cooking.

This was where I started to realize the importance of knowing how to cook, where I have built up certain common-senses in cooking.
It will never be too late to learn from zero, I was indeed very happy to see some changes in mind of him.







The next day we were up bright and early, packing up , making breakfast and setting ourselves up for the day as we were off on our trek into jungle.


Most of the recent expeditions so far has seen beautiful sunshine with barely a drop of rain. Sometimes we even found its blissfully dry.
Somehow the mourns of the thunder started even before the day lights up. It has clearly shown that we have brought a cloud with us.

At the beginning,  this didn’t cause much displeasure, and the group was enjoying their first soggy trek into the jungle. This trek was not about distance but the challenge of staying upright, and it’s easier said than done!!!!


The team managed to stay dry on their first few minutes trek into the jungle. Rain catches up with them very soon. . Luckily the rain ceased for the morning trek up to peak but the excitement wasn’t over yet!!!!
The pictures tell the stories better than I can, so look on.




And thankfully it no longer foggy everywhere but a clear view shown.

Adviser always say, writing a blog post is something that makes us recall the whole process of each trip, and the review will help us in digesting the trip better, a clearer picture can then be formed.


Albeit with the advancement of the technologies nowadays, besides videos and photos, words are one of the powerful tool to capture ‘the moment’.Living it up, wrtting it down.

When we happily talked about ‘changing new hair style’, I was eager to read one of my post in the years back then.
Memories came flashes back….

For me, GunungDatuk is always the mountain that I miss a lot and I always wish to go back again.
It signifies where I first started hiking, and where a girl with very high egoism who finally see the being taught on the word- humble.

Each time i come back here i peel back an old layer of skin from my footpaths around this place, and recalling many trips to review the changes, realize how blind i once was to what the truer ‘mountain climbing’ is.


I remembered how I used to named each accomplishment as ''Conquering'', and i’d also constructed this false sense of myself that earnestly believed this was the RIGHT feeling for each new attempt. I was totally oblivious to the superficiality that I once had, and never appreciate that we’ve been blessed for a safe trip.

There is one more thing Gunung Datuk always remind me of-Milo.


‘'I had never drink milo since little.’’- A joke that has been made out of good intention. This was also a big slap to me about the ‘never’ thingy.

Milo is not the matter that’s been highlighted, the lesson behind is equally the same to foods such as onion, garlis etc, or the things we do, to every little thing in our life.

Some might think that it’s meaningless for going back to the same mountain repeatedly.
But what I can see was not just the very different stories, but the trails, weather too.

The condition of the trail will no longer be the same too. Sometimes, we may even find a place where used to filled with flowing water has dried up.

If we can feel every single things we surrounded by with our heart, the little differences will teach us some good lessons.
Bit by bit , as for every outcome, there’s a reason to be.

Success is sweet: the sweeter if long delayed and attained through manifold struggles and defeats.

All in all, its a fantastic way to spend a weekend!!!!



No comments: