Monday, July 30, 2012

2012 June 22nd – 27th: 1st Gunung Tahan Expedition with ODA

It’s been a month return from Gunung Tahan and is time to write feedback. Hehe!!! A pain feels on my foot about 3 weeks and fever about 1 week after Tahan Expedition. Anyway, I felt very happy that finally ODA Gunung Tahan Expedition was completed with everyone return in safe. Congratulations to 11 of us. Gunung Tahan is a highest point in Penisular Malaysia with 2187m and located at Taman Negara national forest. This is my first Tahan trip with 64km within 5 days via Merapoh – Merapoh. 
For this Gunung Tahan, many stories and experiences had been shared by Laosi and ODA senior that how tough for this trip? How many foods need to prepare for KT to KT? How cold of the weather? How was their training and preparation before the trip?  And how was their physically and mentality during the trip? In my mind this is the mountain that needs to do a lot of training and a very tough mountain. Question been appear in my mind that don’t know I got chance to join? Since last year, I told myself that I must join no matter what had happened. I must experience it once in my lifetime. This trip should be held on after Chinese New Year but due to the reason of bad weather, the trip postponed to mid of June and I have been chosen to join. Thank you ODA.

Before a week of Tahan trip, trip planning had been sent to our mail and I start to feel nervous and excitement until I sleeplessness on that night. Nervous is because of time is near to Tahan and I am worried about my physical that not strong enough to Tahan. I ask myself that can I success to reach peak? I believe I can do it. Excitement is can enjoy the hiking experience with step by step until peak. Start to imagine I reach peak with cold weather, a sea of clouds, standing in highest point and so many… 
However, there was a preparation of checking equipment and do the task assigned on weekend before a week too. I had been assigned to purchase gas, pre fried ikan bilis, pre fried hard tofu and tou gan. The most headache was I don’t know what is the different between the hard tofu and tou gan. Many question been asked to laosi. I have been told that it can buy from Banting Pasar or tofu shop near Maybank there. She also suggested me to ask aunty. Then, I asked Pang, Chian Nii, Bee Suan and failed to ask aunty due to consider of healthy problem that she faced. After asking them, I can’t get what is hard tofu and tou gan also. So that, I decided to find it at Balakong Pasar on Saturday morning since I not go back office on Friday. Early of morning, OPY called me and told me she saw tou gan at Kota Kemuning Pasar but sold out. She explained and gave me a draw on my mind how was the tou gan look like. I tried to find it at Balakong and can’t get it. Finally, task assigned can’t complete on time. Anyway, thanks to OPY for helping me. From this un-success of task assigned, I learnt that every single thing given in the trip planning have the purpose and need seriousness toward everything no matter it is small task. It will affect to everyone because of doing thing lately.  


First and second day, most of the trails were ascending or steep climb and need to cross 5 rivers. Luckily, there was nice weather during this 5 days and lead us cross the river with safe. Thanks god... Most of the time Pang and I walked at back. I didn’t walk fast or hard during these two days since I didn’t push myself. I stopped and rest when I felt my body can’t sustain. This is the situation that happened in these 1st and 2nd days. Luckily I still can reach planned camp site on time. I felt happy too that I still can reach on time and have a fun time with everyone. The most scare and worry during day 1 and 2 was across the river. Thanks to Laosi, Pang, Sim Mei for lending me your hand during river crossing. During these 2 days, I was thinking that the trail just starting only, when I can reach peak? In my mind, I found many reasons support me continue to walk even thought feel tough. I think of the questions that have been asked by Laosi. Why you go along this time? What you want from this Tahan trip? The answer was very simple. I am giving chance to experience significant trip, I must perform the best and from this trip, I wish to learn from Laosi, Pang, Pek Hiong, Miing Rueng and Fu Yaw of their way toward perform task, get task done, their attitude and behavior, their positive mindset and strong mentality all the time. I like the way ODA perform the task with effective and efficiency. I told myself I must make a change on myself after this tough trip especially threw away all the bad habits and negative thinking. I believe that it can make quality people after significant trip. Thanks ODA for giving me chance to experience it. 


On day 3 to 5, the trails were up and down. I have been force to walk fast. No chance to rest a while even felt tired and drink water. It can be do during take 5 only. Suddenly, I felt that hiking is very difficult compare to work. At this time, I truly understand what is called mountain hiking. I wonder to ODA senior still can speed up themselves and non-stop walking with so many years of doing this hard activity and heavy bagpack. My mentality dropped to the lowest during day 3, I no longer have the power to walk due to very tired of the force and felt hard to move the next step. I promise to myself I must work hard and put effort to my job after this significant trip. I want to be success people in short time. Nothing is impossible if we really want to achieve it. Am I right? 
I like the trails which almost reach Camp Botak although we walk under hot sun. The scenery was very nice and I felt that Gunung Tahan is just beside me only. Yeah, yeahJ…I almost achieve my destination and target. I can see everybody is walking when I looked down from up – nice viewing…. When reached Camp Botak, Miing Rueng and Fu Yaw start to set up flysheet immediately although feel tired on their legs. Everybody also keep smiling on their face and doing what they expert to do when reach Camp Site. One thing I can’t forget is the feeling of how cool when bath naked at Camp Botak. This is what laosi advise us must do one time when we at Gunung Tahan. Really unforgettable scenario and luckily I got try it once…  
Early morning of day 4 when sky still in dark, we need to ascend to Tahan Peak. This is time we are waiting for so many days. Although it is simple Peak, it very nice feels when see the blue cloudy and view while standing at the highest point. Full of satisfaction and appreciation in my heart during this time since I completed my journey or achieve my goal. I wish to stay long time at here to enjoy the nice scenery with cool weather. After that, we need to descend and it is time to going back home. This is the main reason to motivate me walk fast, so that I can reach home fast. 


A very special thanks to ODA adviser, with your support, encourage and advice, finally I completed Tahan trip. Appreciate a lot and your advice will be keeps in my mind forever and forever. You are good example to all of us and your spirit is awesome. Thanks also for preparation of the pre-tahan trip to Tahan trip. Although before trip, you are busy with your work and family members but you still done a good trip planning with good schedule and meal plan. The meal plan for these 5 days was very delicious and yummy. Laosi, will you bring us to Tahan again next year or next next year? 

Thanks to Pang too, you are strong people no matter from physical or mentality. You always give me positive energy and encourage when I at lowest point, share your experience and knowledge. Besides that, you are the people who always help everyone when river crossing, heavy loads on bagpack without any complaint. You are play good role during the trips and we must learn from you. For ODA senior - Pek Hiong, Miing Rueng and Fu Yaw, thanks to you all too. The way they perform task and quicklyness of doing things are good example that I should learn from them. Thanks to all of you return to this Tahan trip. You all brought us a lot of fun and laugh. I fully enjoy in this trip and remain good memory in my mind. It is meaningful trip for me and the beauty of Tahan view keep in my mind forever. Finally, thanks to Chian Nii, Bee Suan, OPY, Sim Mei and Chok Ping for lending me your hand, to return carry my bagpack, hike together with me. A very special thanks to Chok Ping for bring DSLR camera and shoot all those pretty photo, it can leave a good memory to us in future.

At last, hopefully this is not my last time to Gunung Tahan. I will join for 2nd times if got chance. I miss this mountain very much. Experiences different mountains have different feeling. Completion of G7 occurs after this trip. Let create our own miracle and change yourself – nothing is impossible, insist yourself until end. Let meet again in next trip. Have a nice day J J J  

 ~~Jeanette Liew ~~


No comments: