Wednesday, July 27, 2011

My first G7 trip – G.Yong Belar Jul 15-17th 2011

Hooray, first of all, CONGRATULATION to everyone for completed G7. Erm…..This is my first G7 mountain and also first pre-tahan training in year of 2011. Gunung Yong Belar is located at 3 states of Pahang/Perak/Kelantan which the highest is 7156 feet. It takes about 12 hours climb to peak and 9 hour to go down. The route is considers very very tough and challenges to me.

Before the trip, I just registered to trip leader that I would like to join without consider much even I knew that this is very tough trip. In my mind, I told myself that I want to challenges myself. I felt that the way of my thinking changes a lot compared to first time to G.Irau. Still remembered that when I first time join ODA to G.Irau, when laosi invite me to join, I straight reject to laosi even she strongly encourage me and told me that this is nice mountain and beautiful view. After careful interpretation from her, I will start to think a lot and many worry about this and that... This is ME before G.Irau trip. Luckily is laosi provides me advice and chance, and my life start to change after this G.Irau trip. Thousand thanks you to laosi - Ms Lim Kwee Hoon. You are always is the people who cheer up my life.

In this trip, I assigned to become group leader and this is my first time to handle group in the mountain. I felt tension when laosi told me because lack of confidence to guide a group people. Anyway, thanks laosi for give me opportunity to learn how to guide a group. I think I didn’t play well function as a group leader while in the mountain. Hope that I will improve myself for next time. Any mistake I made, all group 2 members, please forgive me and thanks for the cooperation from yours. Not to forget thanks to ODA committee – Laosi, Pang, Chian Nii, OPY and Bee Suan who give me advise and teach me before, during and after trip. Really appreciate for the help… Thanks you very much!!!!

A compulsory briefing is a must for every 1st timer G7 participants. Thanks to laosi and ODA committees to conduct a briefing to us. Much information obtains from this briefing such as what we need to prepare for this trip, training is a must before trip, view of G.Yong Belar, teamwork and self discipline needed during trip and etc… When everyone said G.Yong Belar is a very tough mountain, I felt nothing. While in the briefing, Pang mentions that 70 degree, I start to imagine how tough of this mountain. At the end, the imagination is different from experience it myself. Imagine is more tough than experience.

Before trip, as I know, everybody was busy with training themselves with hiking, jogging, fitness, swimming and… For me, before 1 week of YB trip, I go G.nuang and Banting fitness centre to train myself. This is last minutes training done for prepare to YB. Haha! Paiseh…Finally, not enough training prepared and caused of slow down my steps.

Finally, the day we waiting for long time were come, we gathered at Tmn Bahagia on Friday night and take about 4 hour to reach our destination Cameron Highland. Then, we overnight at outside of the local product shop named “88”. The next day, we wake up on 5am to continue our drive journey to Blue Valley Campsite. We need to pass by the 4 wheel road which the road consist of many small big rocks and rugged mountain road. At this time, I feel that laosi is a powerful, brave and capable people. She drives ODA hilux to bring us pass by this 4 wheel road. Hope that I can learn this spirit from laosi.

Next, we need start our hike to YB peak. Oh yes, tough journey was started.

1st challenges - 252 steps of staircase

These stairs consist of very big step of staircase and the most difficult path for me. I walked use my hands and legs same like puffy walk in this path. Really super super tired and killed me.







2nd challenges – pipes road
Pipes road was another difficult path for me because the pipes slippery (scared to fall down) and slow down my steps towards. At this pipes road, few of us can’t follow others speed and walked wrong way for 2 times. Then, Pang very serious told us this is pre-tahan training, can’t play play there. You all need to speed up and follow the people in front of you, can’t let the front people far away from you. She also said that no matter you are fall down, legs pain and whatever, you also need to speed up. I understand that if she didn’t remind us, it will affect whole group delay the time or can’t reach peak. Thanks Pang to remind us and you are a good leader.



3rd challenges – Muddy trail
For me, this muddy trail is still under condition of acceptable. For every mountain hiking also will pass by this muddy trail and just depend to how deep only. I can say that don’t think too much when walk in this muddy trail. It examine how fast we response to our action. What I learnt from laosi while in the Irau trip is “
敢敢踩”.......





What I learn from this G7 trip? Ermmmmmm, let me think think…… My hiking purpose is to experience the journey of hiking and make decision how should I walk for the next step. It also examine me how persist of my decision and think before act, not follow mood or feeling. I think it same as our human everyday’s life. “Persist in the end will be the successful person”. As for this tough trip, I experiences that although it is very tough, exhausting, tiring, scaring walked at dark or walked alone, I keep telling myself that I want to persist until the end and reach the most beautiful view at peak. Do let others people say to you “WELL DONE, YOU CAN DO IT”. So that, mentality MUST act together with physically in order to continue the journey. However, teamwork, skill, knowledge and self-discipline also play an important role. We must train ourselves with good attitude and behavior. It represents “YOU”.

View of the beautiful peak (this is the destination that I persist from start to the end)






A big THANK YOU to our trip Adviser – Ms LIM KWEE HOON for guide and teach us everything before, during and after trip or even in our normal life. Really appreciate your effort and comment to me…Thanks you very much.






ODA committee group photo

Thanks to our trip leader – Bee Suan for doing well preparation for this trip. Group 1 leader – Adrian Wong for being our professional photographer during trip. With these nice and beautiful photos, it can be our sweet memories in the future. Oh ya…not to forget thanks to ODA committees – Pang, Puffy ODA Lim, Chian Nii, OPY for prepare all the equipment, food, valuable time before trip and continuous support or help each other during trip. Thanks to our driver too – Laosi, Mr Tan, Vivian for bring us go and return safely.




Group 1 – Front: Wai San, Pang, Bee Suan

Back: Wai Kit, Simpson, Vivian, Mr Tan, Adrian







Group 2 – Front: Jeanette, Laosi, OPY, Chian Nii

Back: Pang, Puffy, Liang Mao, JF







Group Photo

Last but not least, thanks to all participants for join trip together and completed G7. Nice to meet you all again. Hope to see you all in future trip too J…… HAVE a NicE DaY

~~~Jeanette Liew~~~

1 comment:

Richard N H Lim said...

Jeanette, Glad to read your description of Yong Belar.

I am planning a day trip on Oct 12 with some friends and would like some tips/clarification.

I saw your pictures of the pipes walk. Can I take it that the tops of the pipes are above water/mud (mostly)?

Then your 3rd challenge - wet & muddy - Is the section always wet & muddy? How deep is the mud? Ankle deep? Knee deep?

Thanks in advance.

Richard Lim
yongbelar.9.richard_lim@spamgourmet.com